It’s common for self-esteem to decline with age, especially when seniors feel like they need to depend on others for help. Queen City Elder Care is here to improve the quality of life for aging individuals and we have some tips on how to boost self-esteem for senior citizens.
- Try to catch the signs of low self-esteem early on. Feelings of sadness, loss of interest in hobbies, spending time with friends, not taking care of oneself and overall talk of despair are all signals that the individual could be suffering from low self-esteem. Look for these signals to treat the problem early on.
- Offer plenty of emotional support. Sometimes they just need a shoulder to cry on. Listening and sympathizing seem simple enough but they could do a world of difference so encourage sharing of feelings. You may also suggest emotional support groups or online forums to gain a sense of community and belonging.
- Encourage spending time with loved ones, especially grandchildren. Kids bring joy and memories of youthfulness. Old friends may also spark memories of a life filled with happy memories.
- Inspire them to excel in a hobby they have enjoyed in the past or try a new one! Ask to hear of old times when they’ve experienced success and give praise. Achieving success on any level can certainly raise one’s spirits.
- Give confidence to take charge in their life, no matter how small.
As caregivers, it is our job to be compassionate and patient when dealing with issues of self-esteem or anxieties. If your loved one has any extreme sadness, please seek help from a medical professional immediately.
Michele Vollmer is a visionary leader who is perpetually searching for ways to improve, so to remain at the leading edge of the home care industry.She has served in the healthcare industry since 1989, including pharmaceutical and home health sales, as well as hospice sales and sales management.
Latest posts by Mark & Michele Vollmer, Co-Owners, Managing Partners (see all)
- Can a Pet Ease Social Isolation in Older Adults? - September 5, 2019
- Seniors Meeting Seniors: Tips on Finding a Friend in Your Golden Years - August 22, 2019
- If You’re Part of the ‘Sandwich Generation,’ You May Feel Squeezed as a Caregiver - August 21, 2019