Many seniors face inadequate nutrition. The effects of being undernourished or malnourished can be dangerous, so it is important to recognize signs of nutritional issues in aging loved ones. It is also important to have someone you can trust to manage your loved one’s nutritional needs. That’s where Queen City Elder Care comes in.
Common Challenges to Seniors’ Nutritional Health
Typically, nutritional issues are associated with poverty or illnesses.
For seniors, however, some of the most common challenges include:
• Difficulty getting to grocery stores, carrying groceries, and putting them away
• Trouble with meal planning and remembering things in the kitchen
• Struggling with cooking, cleaning dishes, etc.
• Lack of hunger due to health problems, sadness, or loneliness
• Forgetting to cook, eat, or get groceries
• Fatigue leading to convenient, unhealthy food choices
• Problems with taste, swallowing, or digestion
Some challenges are unexpected. For instance, one study found a senior woman was unplugging her refrigerator at night because it was noisy. This made the food she was consuming unsafe and caused health problems for months.
(Public Health Post and NCBI)
Signs of Nutrition Problems in Seniors
Recognizing some nutrition problems in seniors can be simple, but others are more complex.
Look for signs like these:
• Weight loss, whether slow or fast
• Lack of appetite
• Difficulty concentrating
• Feeling cold often
• Getting sick easily
• Wounds taking a long time to heal
• Mood changes or irritability
In extreme cases or when malnourishment is a problem, symptoms might include:
• Shakiness or lightheadedness
• Difficulty breathing
• Sunken cheeks and features
• Digestive trouble
Being undernourished or malnourished can:
• Weaken the immune system
• Cause fatigue
• Upset digestive processes
• Strain the heart and mind
• Lead to extreme weight loss
• Increase risk of death
• Increase risk of hospitalization
• Delay healing times
Don’t let this happen to your aging loved one. Queen City Elder Care can help! If you are looking for care in the Cincinnati area, give us a call today.
If you or an aging loved one is considering hiring Elder Care Services in Indian Hill OH, please contact the caring staff at Queen City Elder Care today. Serving Cincinnati and Surrounding Communities. Call Us Today (513) 510-4410.
Michele Vollmer is a visionary leader who is perpetually searching for ways to improve, so to remain at the leading edge of the home care industry.She has served in the healthcare industry since 1989, including pharmaceutical and home health sales, as well as hospice sales and sales management.