Pneumonia has an aggregate cost of nearly $10.6 billion for 1.1 million hospital stays. We know that the elderly is the most at risk for the flu and other respiratory diseases such as Covid 19.
Our caregivers’ interventions include the following:
- Asking the client and observing breathing and lung status on every shift.
- Watch for chest pain when the client breathes or coughs
- Observing increased confusion above baseline
- Note coughing, which increases phlegm
- Fever, sweating and shaking chills
- Shortness of breath beyond usual
- Electronically document a change in condition to facilitate care coordination
- This will automatically alert the agency owners, the Director of Client Services, and the RN Supervisor so that they can intervene to help prevent hospitalization
- Remind the client of signs and symptoms of complications
- Encourage fluid intake and good nutrition especially protein
- Motivational exercises for deep breathing to expand lungs
- Observe nebulizer treatment and note reaction if difficult or challenging
- Medication reminders for nebulizers and other medications
- Gradual resumption of ADLs and energy conservation
- Keep client motivated by telling them the goal is to avoid hospitalization
- Care Coordination Program for Post-Acute Care
Call Queen City Elder Care if you know someone that could be susceptible to Pneumonia or Flu (513) 510-4410.
If you or an aging loved one is considering hiring Home Care Services in Indian Hill OH, please contact the caring staff at Queen City Elder Care today. Serving Cincinnati and Surrounding Communities. Call Us Today (513) 510-4410.
- Summer Getting Hot for Your Senior? - July 9, 2020
- How Do You Prepare Yourself for the Lost Income as a Family Caregiver? - June 18, 2020
- Queen City Elder Care Can Help Medical Professionals Treat Pneumonia and Flu at Home - June 16, 2020